Information Collected by DareNET
We only collect personal information that is relevant to the purpose of our website and network, which is to enable users to discover and share information with one another. This information allows us to provide you with a customized and efficient experience. We do not process this information in a way that is incompatiable with this objective. We collect the following types of information from our users:
Information You Provide to Us:
- We receive and store any information you enter on our website or provide to us through other means, such as our IRC services (eg., NickServ, ChanServ, etc.). You can choose not to provide us certain information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of many of our special features.
- Registration: In order for you to use DareNET services, such as registering a channel, posting to the forums on the website, you must complete a one time registration process. As part of this registration process, we require select personal information (such as your email address).
- User Profile: To allow you to express yourself beyond just the information collected during registration, we enable you to provide additional information, such as a bio, favorite URLs, and instant messaging IDs. In addition, you may choose to include photos of yourself in your profile. As indicated below, in the section titled "Sharing Your Information", you can control how your information is displayed and used.
- We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. DareNET and its authorized agents automatically receive and record certain "traffic data" on their server logs from your browser or IRC client including your IP address, DareNET cookie information, and the page you requested. DareNET uses this traffic data to help diagnose problems with its servers, analyze trends and administer the website and network.
- DareNET may collect and, on any page, display the total counts that page has been viewed. This includes User Profile pages and photo albums.
- Many companies offer programs that help you visit websites and connect to IRC networks anonymously. While DareNET will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these programs are available. In addition, DareNET does not block Tor.
DareNET is very concerned about your privacy and we will never provide your email address to a third party without your explicit permission, as detailed in the "Sharing Your Information" section below. DareNET may send out emails with DareNET-related news, product offers, surveys or promotions, if you have opted-in to receiving such communications from us. You may also receive notification emails from DareNET, which inform you of actions (eg., friend requests, new memos) that have been performed on the IRC network or site. If you do not want to receive emails from us, please visit the Edit Options section of your User Control Panel or follow the instructions contained in the unwanted email message. However, please note that in all cases you will continue to receive all system emails (eg., those regearding forgotten passwords) and legal notices (eg., updates to our policies) from us.
We will never provide your mobile phone number to a third party without your explicit permission, as detailed in the "Sharing Your Information" section below. DareNET will only send you SMS notifications for those services you have specifically opted-into. If you no longer want to receive SMS notifications from us, please opt-out for the particular service(s) you no longer want to receive notifications for. Additionally, you can completely remove your mobile phone number by using NickServ's SET MOBILE command on IRC. For more details, use "/msg NickServ HELP SET MOBILE" on IRC.
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our website are visited and by how many people. DareNET cookies do not collect personal information, and we do not combine information collected through cookies with other personal information to tell us who you are or what your screen name or e-mail address is.
- AuthCookies are alphanumeric identifiers that allow you to login to your IRC account should your hostmask not match those stored for your account. These are sent to the e-mail address associated with your account and can be supplied back to NickServ to log you in.
Sharing Your Information
Because DareNET enables people to discover and share information with one another, information about the people who use DareNET is an integral part of the DareNET experience. Rest assured that we neither rent nor sell your personal information to anyone and that we will share your personal information only as described below.
- DareNET Staff: DareNET staff and authorized consultants and/or contractors may have access to user information if necessary in the normal course of DareNET business.
- Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user information (in an aggregated form) is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if DareNET, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred.
- Protection of DareNET and Others: We may release personal information when we believe in good faith that release is necessary to comply with a law; to enforce or apply our Acceptable Use Policy and other policies; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of DareNET, our staff, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- User Profile information: Information collected during registration and subsequent visits, such as your full name and location, may be displayed to other DareNET users in your User Profile. The User Profile is the area on DareNET where we allow you to tell other DareNET users about yourself and your interests. You may control what personal information is displayed in your User Profile by visiting the User Control Panel section of your User Profile.
- Social sharing of data: DareNET allows other users to browse posts that you have posted to our forums. This information is made available publicly via your User Profile, via the public API, or within the permalink URL of the post on which you performed the action. DareNET may choose to post this data on other site features.
- Friends' Activity: Much like other online social networks, DareNET allows non-friends to browse your friends' activity and status.
- API: DareNET will allow third parties access to all DareNET data this is already publicly available through the DareNET website. DareNET will keep private any passwords and profile settings.
- Syndication: DareNET allows for the RSS syndication of all of its public content within the DareNET website.
- IRC account infromation: DareNET allows users to display their e-mail address and other information to other IRC users through NickServ commands. You may choose which information is shown through your account settings.
- With Your Consent: Except as noted above, we will contact you when your personal information is shared with third parties or used for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, and you will be able to opt out to prevent the sharing of this information.