If you have any questions or concerns, please send them to email@example.com.
Information we collect
- Information you give us. For example, some features require you to sign up for an account. When you do, we will ask you for an email address. If you choose to take full advantage of the sharing features we provide, we might ask you to include your name, website URL and a short bio; however, such information is always optional.
- Information we get from your use of the Service. This information includes:
- Log information. When you use the Service, we collect and store information commonly found in server logs, such as your IP address, and the date and time of your request or connection. This information is used for system maintenance and abuse detection.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect from the Service to provide, maintain, protect and improve it. We also use this information to provide you a more personalized experience.
We only use your email address to send you system emails (e.g., password resets) as requested by you, and legal notices (e.g., updates to our policies) as necessary.
If you have a DareNET account, we may display your profile name, website and short biography provided by you on your profile page and other areas of the service. This information is always optional, and you can change or remove it at anytime through the settings page.
Your account password is stored using a strong hash function designed for passwords (bycrypt with a decent work factor).
Our servers don't keep records of your conversations, nor do we provide a logging service; however, be aware that most clients provide logging capabilities. Anyone in the channels you are in might do so and publish those conversation logs (and some channels may be actively logged by bots or users on those channels). If you have questions about this, we encourage you to ask other users in the channel you're concerned about. In general, you should assume that anything you say on IRC that is not in a private message will be recorded and possibly published somewhere, and even then you're depending on your trust with the person you're sending a message to will not share it.
Information we share
We will never share your personal information or reveal any user data with any third party unless:
- we are compelled by law, or
- we believe it is necessary to prevent serious physical harm to someone
If we believe a legal warrant to be too broad, we will seek to narrow it. We will notify users about a legal warrant for their data unless we are prevented from doing so by law.
We take precautions to protect the Service and our users from unauthorized access or alteration, disclosure or destruction about information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL/TLS
- We encourage all users to connect to our IRC network using a TLS-enabled connection
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices
- We restrict access to personal information to only those staff members who require that information in order to maintain the service